Historical Background

1948 › 1950

The birth of PPC

1948
The first step

The first step

In November 1948, in the context of the Marshall Plan, the Supreme Council for Reconstruction compiles a four-year programme of economic redress that includes a nation-wide project of electrification by harnessing the hydraulic power of eight rivers. The design of the electrification project is commissioned to a US company, Ebasco Services Incorporated.
1950 › 1959

The vision of electrification of a country

1950
And there was… the Public Power Corporation

And there was… the Public Power Corporation

PPC was founded in August 1950 with the aim to bring electricity to the farthermost reaches of the country. It started operations in two areas: electricity generation and lignite exploitation.
1951
The first projects

The first projects

Construction of the Aliveri Thermal Power Plant begins immediately. The development of 2 lignite mines of a total yield of 3,000 tons of lignite daily paves the way for the exploitation of other lignite reserves with modern extraction methods.
1953
Aliveri Thermal Power Plant

Aliveri Thermal Power Plant

The two modern turbine generators ensure an energy generation capacity of 600.000.000 KWH annually. During 1953-1954, the Power Plant consumes more than 350.000 tons of lignite.
1954
The Louros Hydroelectric Power Plant

The Louros Hydroelectric Power Plant

Completion of the Hydroelectric Power Plant at Louros, between Ioannina and Preveza (capacity 5.000 KW). The Agra Hydroelectric Power Plant (capacity 40.000 KW) in central Macedonia is put into operation.
1955
The largest hydroelectric project of that time

The largest hydroelectric project of that time

The Ladonas Hydroelectric Power Plant at Arcadia (capacity: 50.000 ΚW) begins operating. A spectacular artificial lake of a capacity of 50.000.000 cubic meters is created. Approximately 1,000 Greek and 400 Italian workers are employed in the construction.
1956
A uniform strategy for electricity

A uniform strategy for electricity

PPC is granted an exclusive privilege for the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity throughout the country. It starts to acquire private or community-owned undertakings operating within the national territory. The signature in 1960 of an agreement with the largest of the then-existing electricity companies, the Athens-Piraeus Electricity Company (in Greek: ΗΕΑΠ), completes the basic round of acquisitions.
1956
“Educating” the public

“Educating” the public

PPC’s contribution to national industrialization and development has been pivotal and changed people’s lives enormously as electric appliances began to emerge which would radically transform everyday life. In fact, company crews performed demos of electric appliances throughout the country (1956-1964).
1956
First participation in the Thessaloniki EXPO

First participation in the Thessaloniki EXPO

PPC participates for the first time in the 21st Thessaloniki International EXPO with a pavilion comprised of the “electric cottage”, a fully illuminated farmhouse of the future fully fitted with electrical equipment, and a high voltage electricity transmission pylon.
1957
The first bond

The first bond

The first issue of PPC’s first bond loan of 90.000.000 drachmae with an annual interest rate of 8% is offered for subscription on the 1st of July 1957. The aim of the bonds is to repay part of the value of facilities acquired by the PPC throughout Greece.
1958
Agricultural electrification

Agricultural electrification

Agricultural electrification has been a core pursuit for PPC since its foundation. The PPC led an extensive information campaign for the rural population through advertisements and roadshows across the countryside about the advantages of electricity in agricultural production.
1959
Acquisition of LIPTOL S.A.

Acquisition of LIPTOL S.A.

In February 1959 it was decided to acquire 9/10 of LIPTOL S.A.’s shares in an effort by PPC to ensure trouble-free uninterrupted supply of lignite for the Ptolemaida complex, which was under construction.
1959
Ptolemaida Thermal Power Plant

Ptolemaida Thermal Power Plant

The first power generation unit of the Ptolemaida Thermal Power Plant (capacity: 70.000 KW) becomes operational. The iconic cooling tower soars to 72 meters and the chimney to 110 – the highest construction in the country at the time.
1960 › 1969

Growing by leaps and bounds

1960
The first international interconnection

The first international interconnection

The PPC’s national system is interconnected with the southern Yugoslavian system through the transmission line Ptolemaida-Monastir following the signature of the Greek-Yugoslavian agreement for the exchange of electricity.
1960
The first TV station in Greece

The first TV station in Greece

PPC mounted and operated the first experimental TV station in Greece at the 25th Thessaloniki EXPO. The station functioned for approximately three weeks in total and broadcasts ran every evening from 19:30 to 22:00. Thessaloniki residents watched the programme on one hundred TV sets placed by Philips at landmark spots in the city.
1960
Lake Plastiras

Lake Plastiras

The first unit of the Tavropos Hydroelectric Power Plant (Megdova), south west of Karditsa, begins operations. The artificial lake of Tavropos (lake Plastiras) is created; its waters are used to meet the Plant’s needs and to irrigate the Thessalian plain.
1964
The Interconnection of mainland to the islands is accelerated

The Interconnection of mainland to the islands is accelerated

The laying of submarine cables began in the ’60’s bringing electricity to every corner of Greece and earning the admiration of the public.
1964
Training and specialization

Training and specialization

The Athens Model Technical Apprenticeship School gets off the ground in 1964; the Fast-Track Technical Training School is founded one year later whereas the Vocational Training Schools for PPC Technicians in Athens (Roof), Thessaloniki, Herakleion, Grete, Chalkida and Aliveri continue operating.
1965
Light everywhere!

Light everywhere!

By the end of 1965, PPC supplies with electricity 2.703 countryside settlements (cities, towns and villages) of a population of 4 million.
1966
One of Europe’s biggest projects

One of Europe’s biggest projects

The largest PPC project so far, and one of the biggest dams in Europe, the Kremasta Hydroelectric Power Plant, in the Acheloos complex, measuring 160 meters high and 600 meters long, becomes operational. At the peak of the works, the total manpower involved amounts to approximately 3.500 people.
1970 › 1979

New units throughout the nation

1970
Megalopolis Thermal Power Plant

Megalopolis Thermal Power Plant

The first two units of the Thermal Power Plant in the lignite-rich region of Megalopolis become operational. In 1975, the third unit of 300,000 KW was included, while the fourth unit was built (1991) with the most modern specifications (exhaust desulphurisation system).
1971
The biggest Thermal Unit

The biggest Thermal Unit

The biggest PPC thermal unit of that time (capacity: 200.000 KW) is installed at the Agios Georgios TPP, in Keratsini.
1972
Construction of the Lavrio Energy Centre

Construction of the Lavrio Energy Centre

The first Thermal Unit (capacity: 150.000 KW) becomes operational whereas construction of the second one gets under way (capacity: 300.000 KW).
1974
With the power of water

With the power of water

Completion of the two units of the Polyphytos Hydroelectric Power Plant at the Aliakmonas complex.
1975
Kardia Thermal Power Plant

Kardia Thermal Power Plant

The first two units of the Kardia Thermal Power Plant, in the prefecture of Kozani, start operations (capacity: 600.000 KW)
1980 › 1989

With the power of nature

1980
New Units

New Units

Unit 3 of the Kardia TPP (capacity: 300 MW) begins operations and Unit 4 (capacity: 300 MW) is added one year later; the same goes for the gas turbine units of the Lavrio TPP (6 units of a capacity of 234 MW). Moreover, 164 km of transmission lines and 3.975 km of medium and low voltage distribution network are constructed.
1980
Agreement with Ebasco

Agreement with Ebasco

Ebasco as technical advisor to the PPC is commissioned with the preliminary steps to install a nuclear power plant in Greece.
1980
Geothermal

Geothermal

Drilling for the first of the 4 new geothermal deep wells starts on Milos island. The aim is to generate steam in view of the project to install a pilot unit of 10 MW. The Department of Alternative Energy Forms is established.
1981
Pournari Hydroelectric Power Plant

Pournari Hydroelectric Power Plant

The Pournari HPP begins operations (capacity: 300 MW). During the same year, the Agios Georgios TPP in Keratsini was taken out of operation to reduce air pollution in the Attica basin.
1982
The first wind farm

The first wind farm

On 5 June 1982, PPC begins to operate the country’s first wind farm on Kythnos island (capacity: 100 KW) whereas during the same year the first photovoltaic power plant (capacity: 50 kW) of the EEC programme becomes operational at Agia Roumeli, Crete.
1983
Supporting the Greek industry

Supporting the Greek industry

In the context of the Greek industry aid policy and the “hellenization” of the energy projects’ equipment manufacturing (lignite mines, hydroelectric projects, etc.) a programme agreement is signed on 29 April 1983 between the PPC and the Greek Powder and Cartridge Company, PYRCAL S.A. The co-operation with PYRKAL S.A. bears its first fruits in the course of the same year with contracts for the construction of works from Greek industries (conveyor belt for inert materials at the Amyntaio Mine, lignite stacker in Amyntaio and Ptolemaida South Field, etc.).
1984
Agios Dimitrios Thermal Power Plant

Agios Dimitrios Thermal Power Plant

The largest power plant in Greece becomes operational in 1984.
1984
Agreement with HAI

Agreement with HAI

A programme agreement is signed on 30 August 1984 between PPC and the Hellenic Aerospace Industry to build wind turbines that may be extended to other works, such as repair of gas turbines, construction of photovoltaic components, turbines for small hydro projects, etc.
1985
Sfikia & Asomatoi Hydroelectric Power Plant

Sfikia & Asomatoi Hydroelectric Power Plant

The first two units of the Sfikia Hydroelectric Power Plant and the first two units of the Asomatoi HPP start operations in March and April, respectively.
1987
Wind Farm on Karpathos island

Wind Farm on Karpathos island

The Karpathos Wind Farm which contains the biggest wind turbine made in Greece until that time, measuring 22 meters high and with a capacity of 175 MW, becomes operational.
1987
Amyntaio-Philotas Thermal Power Plant

Amyntaio-Philotas Thermal Power Plant

Units 1 and 2 of the Amyntaio-Philotas TPP start operations in August (capacity: 300 MW each).
1988
Giona Hydroelectric Power Plant

Giona Hydroelectric Power Plant

The Giona HPP, with a maximum annual capacity of 55 GWh, is put into commercial operation in August 1988.
1989
Stratos Hydroeletric Power Plant

Stratos Hydroeletric Power Plant

The Stratos Hydroelectric Project, on Acheloos river, is inaugurated on 14 May, adding 200 million kilowatt hours annually.
1989
Anti-pollution technologies for the environment

Anti-pollution technologies for the environment

All Ptolemaida’s lignite units are fitted with new technology electrostatic filters during this year to tackle the problem of fly ash.
1989
District heating

District heating

An agreement is signed paving the way for the project of district heating in Kozani and Ptolemaida (installation of a hot water supply network for heating and residential use). District heating will drastically substitute central heating boilers thus contributing to the reduction of air pollution.
1989
A lake for sports…

A lake for sports…

Responding to a request by the Hellenic Water Ski Federation, PPC grants to the Greek State the free use of the small artificial lake between the Acheloos Bridge and the hydroelectric dam at Stratos for water sports and finances the necessary infrastructure works at the lake.
1990 › 1999

Transition to a new era

1991
Makrochori Hydroelectric Power Plant

Makrochori Hydroelectric Power Plant

The Makrochori HPP becomes operational.
1995
Energy Control Centre at Agios Stefanos

Energy Control Centre at Agios Stefanos

The new National and Southern Regional Energy Centre at Agios Stefanos, Attica, gets off the ground. Control centres are where the The new National and Southern Regional Energy Centre at Agios Stefanos, Attica, gets off the ground. Control centres are where the “heart” of the power plants beats; this is where the people ensuring their trouble-free and safe operation work.
1995
Little Lavrio

Little Lavrio

The construction of the combined cycle power plant at Lavrio, the so-called Little Lavrio (capacity: 177 MW), is completed. The plant begins full-time operations in 1998, on completion of the installation of the natural gas pipeline ending at Lavrio.
1997
A new era for the Keratsini Thermal Power Plant

A new era for the Keratsini Thermal Power Plant

The eighth unit of the Agios Georgios thermal power plant (Keratsini) is put back into operation, burning natural gas (160 160 MW). The plant operated on a back-up basis since 1985, due to the environmental pollution it caused. Next year the ninth unit becomes operational as well.
1998
Thisavros Hydroelecric Power Plant

Thisavros Hydroelecric Power Plant

Two of the three units of the Thisavros HPP are put into commercial operation.
1998
Completion of district heating project

Completion of district heating project

Final acceptance of the Kozani District Heating Project by Units 3 and 4 of the Agios Dimitrios TPP, on 20/5/1998.
1998
Pournari Hydroelectric Power Plant

Pournari Hydroelectric Power Plant

Both Units of the Pournari HPP is put into commercial operation.
1999
Electronic Customer Service System

Electronic Customer Service System

The modern online Customer Service System “Ermis” becomes fully operational nation-wide. All PPC customers are served through it. It is also used by the Customer Agencies of the Distribution to monitor customer financial information.
1999
District Heating at Megalopolis

District Heating at Megalopolis

An agreement for the supply of district heating power to the city of Megalopolis from Megalopolis TPP A´ Unit 3 is signed.
1999
New RES units

New RES units

Units 1 and 2 of the Platanovrisi HPP, the photovoltaic power plant on Sifnos island, and two new wind farms: on Lesvos island (capacity: 2 MW) and at Marmari, Evia (capacity: 5,1 MW), are put into commercial operation this year. The wind farm at Toplou monastery, Sitia, Crete, also goes operational (capacity: 5,1 MW).
2000 › 2009

PPC in the new millennium

2001
PPC becomes a Société Anonyme

PPC becomes a Société Anonyme

On the 1st of January 2001 (Law 2773/1999) PPC becomes a Société Anonyme with the Hellenic Republic as its sole shareholder and the generation and supply of electric power as its main object.
2002
Komotini Thermal Power Plant

Komotini Thermal Power Plant

The gas-fired power plant begins operating in the summer of 2002 and has an overall capacity of 485 MW.
2005
Monitoring CO2 emissions

Monitoring CO2 emissions

Since 2005, CO2 emissions in all Power Plants are monitored and recorded based on a documented, centrally deployed Monitoring Plan adapted to the particular characteristics of each Power Plant.
2007
Moving more decisively towards RES…

Moving more decisively towards RES…

A PPC subsidiary, “PPC Renewables S.A.”, is founded with the main object to develop RES projects.
2009
Environmental policy

Environmental policy

PPC’s environmental policy is already in line with the European Union’s targets on energy policy. Rehabilitation of land at Megalopolis.
2010 › 2019

New era

2010
Supporting vulnerable groups

Supporting vulnerable groups

PPC applies the Social Residential Tariff (SRT) to support vulnerable consumer groups.
2011
New subsidiaries

New subsidiaries

Two subsidiaries are established by PPC S.A., IPTO S.A. and HEDNO S.A., responsible for the Hellenic Power Transmission System and the Hellenic Network of Electricity Distribution respectively.
2013
Aliveri V: a state-of-the-art unit

Aliveri V: a state-of-the-art unit

In 2013 a new, state-of-the-art natural gas-fired unit is built at Aliveri Unit V (capacity: 417 MW).
2014
Ilarion Hydroelectric Power Plant, a model investment

Ilarion Hydroelectric Power Plant, a model investment

Completion of the hydroelectric power plant at Ilarion (capacity: 4,2 MW), a model investment with multiple benefits for local communities and the national economy in terms of development, energy and the environment.
2016
Megalopolis V

Megalopolis V

Construction of the natural gas-fired unit Megalopolis V (capacity: 811 MW).
2017
Unbundling of IPTO S.A.

Unbundling of IPTO S.A.

Completion of the ownership unbundling process of IPTO S.A. from the PPC (Law 4389/2016).
2017
e-Bill

e-Bill

Establishment of the new electronic platform e-Bill for issuing Monthly Bills to registered customers.
2018
Natural Gas from PPC

Natural Gas from PPC

PPC enters the natural gas market having obtained a license to supply N.G. to its customers.
2019
Naeras, a hybrid energy project

Naeras, a hybrid energy project

Inauguration of the Naeras Hybrid Energy Project, on Ikaria, which combines wind and hydraulic energy.
2019
Transformation of PPC

Transformation of PPC

PPC begins its transformation and announces the 3 new pillars of its corporate planning (phase-out of lignite units and emphasis on RES, digitalization and customer-centered services).
2020 › today

One with the future!

2020
The new Covid-19 reality

The new Covid-19 reality

The extraordinary Covid-19 situation prompts PPC to take exceptional measures to protect consumers and staff and offer economic relief to its customers. At the same time, the company supports the NHS with a 5-million-euro donation.
2020
One with the future!

One with the future!

With the motto “One with the future”, PPC renews its corporate image and enters a new era, always respecting its 70-year history.
2021
DEI Blue: The future...is charging!

DEI Blue: The future...is charging!

In order to develop the largest network of publicly accessible chargers in combination with the provision of new value-added services, PPC inaugurates the official start of electricity in Greece, DEI Blue. At the same time, it enters into important collaborations with large companies with the aim of jointly implementing actions to promote e-mobility and the development of a sustainable transport system.
2021
Sale of 49% of HEDNO

Sale of 49% of HEDNO

The electricity distribution network is a valuable asset for PPC and its modernisation is a strategic priority. The agreement with Macquarie Asset Management for the sale of 49% of HEDNO aims at the joint development of an extensive programme of digitisation and automation of the national grid that will facilitate the growing electrification of the economy and will provide quality and reliable services to all citizens.
2021
Share Capital Increase

Share Capital Increase

In November 2021, PPC completes its share capital increase, raising €1.35 billion and attracting many major international investors. These funds will finance the €9.3 billion investment programme in RES until 2026, making PPC a leading power not only in Greece, but in the entire SEE region. With these investments, PPC is strengthening its position as a major regional electricity company and at the same time the country's geopolitical role.
Browser update recommended

Our website has detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from accessing certain features.
In order to improve your browsing experience we strongly recommend you use the links below to update to one of the following modern browsers.

Appointment Appointment appointment form