Public Power Corporation was founded in 1950, with a vision to formulate and implement a national energy policy, which will achieve electrification of Greece through efficient utilization of domestic resources.
As a result of efficient and scalable production and innovative technology, PPC achieves electrification of the entire country, from the small islands of the borders to the most secluded settlements of mountainous Greece.
As of January 1, 2001, PPC begins operating as a Societe Anonyme, and by December 12, 2001 gets listed on the Athens and London Stock Exchanges.
Today it is operating in a liberalized market environment, covering the whole spectrum of activities in the electrical power field.
With € 5.3 billion turnover and total assets amounting to € 17.1 billion in 2016, it is the largest power generation company in Greece and the country's largest power supply provider for approximately 7.3 million customers, being a leader in the wider market of Southeast Europe.
It currently holds assets in lignite mines, power generation and distribution. PPC’s current power portfolio with installed capacity of 12.1 GW, consists of conventional thermal and hydroelectric power plants, as well as RES units, accounting for approximately 61.4% of the total installed capacity in the country. Approximately 49% of PPC’s total electricity is generated from lignite.
PPC also owns the power distribution network (Low and Medium Voltage of 237,390 km and High Voltage lines of 945 Km).
PPC at a glance - Key figures
• 7.3 million customers
• 12.1 GW installed capacity – (c. 61.4% of the installed power capacity in Greece)
• Distribution Network : 237.390 km of Low & Medium Voltage lines and 945 km of High Voltage lines